[syslinux] Can PXElinux be used to dynamically pass DHCP option 252 to a PXE client?

Martijn Olivier Tigchelaar motigchelaar at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 7 23:52:44 PST 2010

> > Not strictly an answer to your question, but if you're using gpxelinux.0 then
> > you could issue something equivalent to "set net0/252.string
> > \path\to\BCD\file", which would cause the gPXE part to include option 252
> > within the (always artificially constructed) DHCP reply. That should work,
> > though there may be an easier way to do it.
> >

> The other option is to use pxechain.com.
>
> -hpa

How? as far as I can tell I can only use "pxechain.com" to point to a different boot file (on a different server if desired). In this case, I don't need that.

In a Microsoft environment, starting "pxeboot.n12" (or "pxeboot.0" after renaming it) will eventually load "bootmgr.exe". It is this Windows Boot Manager that needs to know where it can find a valid BCD file (not another NBP). This is what I need DHCP option 252 for - to tell "bootmgr.exe" what file to pull off the TFTP server and use as the BCD.

Martijn.