[syslinux] Syslinux 3.85 chain.c32 problem solved

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 8 13:09:27 PST 2010

On 03/08/2010 12:05 PM, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
> Am 08.03.2010 20:14, schrieb H. Peter Anvin:
>> On 03/08/2010 01:48 AM, Thomas Mieslinger wrote:
>>> HP DL360G4p
>>> HP DL360G6
>>
>> Have these *ever* worked, with any version of Syslinux?
> I'm currently using pxelinux 3.11 with localboot 0. That just works on
> any Platform I have to maintain. Today I only tested gpxelinux 3.86pre1
> and 4.00. Please note the 'g'. I will only go away from 3.11 if
> gpxelinux is working on all Servers I have. http for configuration and
> need.
>
> The G6 "understands" localboot 0. The G4p seems unable to boot from
> harddisk when gpxelinux >3.84 was loaded.
>
>> Also, how do you run them?  Just "chain.c32 hd0"?
>
> label harddisk
>    KERNEL http://172.20.36.3/pxe/tools.386/chain.c32
>    APPEND hd0 0
>
> Just tried
>
>   APPEND hd0
>
> makes no difference.

Okay.  There are a series of HP servers for which localboot 0 is never
going to work with gpxelinux -- and very likely not with any newer
pxelinux either.  This is due to a very serious software bug in their
BIOS which is almost impossible to work around.

The strange bit, though, is why chain.c32 isn't working.  That operates
through a completely different mechanism which is supposed to be more
robust.