[syslinux] com32 license restrictions

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 8 17:21:17 PST 2010

On 03/08/2010 02:47 PM, Don Hiatt wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   Would com32 modules be considered the same as an ordinary Linux
> executable with respect to LGPL? That is, as long as you released any
> changes to syslinux/com32 libs would you also have to release the
> source to the com32 module?
>
> Thanks for your time.

There is no LGPL code involved.

If you use libcom32.a code only, that code is MIT licensed; you do not
need to share code to either the library or the module.

If you use code out of the gpllib directory -- libcom32gpl.a -- then you
are subject to the GPL and have to release source code to both your
module and to the library (easiest done by distributing a copy of the
Syslinux source code, of course.)