[syslinux] Can PXElinux be used to dynamically pass DHCP option 252 to a PXE client?

Martijn Olivier Tigchelaar motigchelaar at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 9 02:19:38 PST 2010

> Are you sure about this? Do you have a reference you can point to, or is
> it just from observation? 252/wpad is commonly used for proxy
> configuration. I would suspect implementing this DHCP wide would cause
> all sorts of issues.

I am sure about it. I have seen it happen while looking at my packet sniffer. I put the packet sniffer in place because I was wondering how MS was able to dynamicaly handout different BCD files to the bootmgr process.

Like Shao mentioned in his response - I was not looking to to use DHCP option 252 environment-wide, I was only looking to modify it based on menu selections. Although I did experiment with setting the 252 option string on my DHCP server to proof myself right before even putting my original message on the mailinglist.

> I am one of the many of us annoyed by the delay, and would love to
> remove it, but not at the cost of having peoples browsers blow up.

I have it all up and running now without annoying delays. And my proxy WPAD assignments still work as well:-)

> I wonder if restricting this to the PXEClient Class would still work.

Yep - that does the trick.

Over the past 4 days or so I have been going through a lot of documentation, including Microsoft's, to find out how the link from pxeboot.com (or .n12) -> bootmgr.exe -> BCD file -> Boot\boot.sdi -> .WIM file is determined or dynamically influenced and how I could incorporate this into a PXElinux menu such that a selection has to be made only in the main PXE menu and not in PXE menu and Windows Boot Manager menu. I will try and post all information including references to docs and captures etc. later this week.

Martijn.