[syslinux] com32 fswrite to filesystem

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 09:25:50 PST 2010

I'm pretty sure this was discussed previously on the list.

This is my understanding of H. Peter Anvin's opinion/view.  Due to the
unpredictable nature of the quality of different BIOSs, this has been
explicitly not implemented.  If you happen to have a bad BIOS, you
might (at worst) nuke your entire hard drive by overwriting it with
corrupt data when you only wanted to write to one small text file.

This is the reason that I wrote ROSH, a Read-Only SHell.  I designed
it to be able to easily navigate a file system, read a file, but then
continue booting into an operating system to continue with anything
else.  And yes, it is still not where I'd consider it complete or
ready for general use.

As an alternative, I believe there has been work to implement
alternate functionality as writing to a TFTP server or a serial port.

As far as attempting to implement it in versions 4 or 5, I would
suggest asking for a response from HPA although I doubt he's changed
this opinion.

--
-Gene

"No one ever says, 'I can't read that ASCII E-mail you sent me.'"