[syslinux] com32 fswrite to filesystem

Don Hiatt donhiatt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 10:02:50 PST 2010

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure this was discussed previously on the list.
>
> This is my understanding of H. Peter Anvin's opinion/view.  Due to the
> unpredictable nature of the quality of different BIOSs, this has been
> explicitly not implemented.  If you happen to have a bad BIOS, you
> might (at worst) nuke your entire hard drive by overwriting it with
> corrupt data when you only wanted to write to one small text file.

Thanks for your reply Gene. I have looked at your rosh but I'd like to
make it rwosh. ;-)

One thing I'd like to do is, say, from syslinux download a new kernel image
over TFTP and then write it to the filesystem. Or do some other sort
similar FS writes. I certainly don't expect this to be needed by too
many people,
but I'd certainly release any changes I make which allow FS write support.
Basically, what I'm looking for is any words of advice on just where to begin
to add support. It may be a futile effort, but I'd like to give it a go. ;-)

Cheers and thanks again!

don