[syslinux] Recovery console doesn't work in chain.c32 3.85or3.86-pre1

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri Mar 12 13:24:08 PST 2010

H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> ...I'm not sure why it didn't
> handle it correctly for cmdcons;

This split into two subjects in my opinion.  The subject of Gert's
report was not specifying the partition to boot whatsoever, but CMLDR
wants a partition boot-sector, not the MBR nonsensically patched with
"cmdcons" where the OEM string should be.

Then Gert suggested the reverse-lookup idea for GRLDR and CMLDR, so that
one can specify "whatever partition Syslinux is already booted from."

> although in some way Shao's patch is
> The Right Thing (and I've said for a long time I'd merge that but I
> didn't have to write it) I would *really* like a minimal fix for 3.86 as
> I really want a bug-fix-only release this time.

In my opinion, my recent chain.c32 patch for the "fs" option is a
feature, not a bug.  We already support Recovery Console... If the
partition is specified.  86 is an even number...  No new features for
even numbers in general?

- Shao Miller