[syslinux] isohybrid question

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Mar 12 14:10:30 PST 2010

On 03/09/2010 08:00 AM, Gert Hulselmans wrote:

> xorriso has implemented isohybrid already:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso_eng.html
>
> You can also read some mails, by searching for 'xorriso' at
> http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/.

The big problem with isohybrid support in a third-party tool is that the
isohybrid code is still very much subject to change, since it is still
somewhat new code.

In that sense, I can update the code that goes into isohybrid much
easier than in an external library.  There were some very heated
exchanges between myself and the xorriso maintainer because I needed a
bug fix in the stub code -- despite that I had previously warned that
that might be happening.

One huge potential advantage of doing the isohybrid code in a filesystem
generator is that it might be possible to avoid the "offset" problems by
having two copies of the metadata.