[syslinux] any way to get pxelinux to grab its config file fromanother host?

Mike Coleman tutufan at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 16:15:45 PST 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM, Shao Miller
<Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca> wrote:
> See syslinux/doc/rfc5071.txt to learn about DHCP options 209 and 210.
>
> gPXE> set 210:string tftp://other-host/
> gPXE> chain ${210}pxelinux.0
>
> You can also specify DHCP option 210 in the DHCP service, itself.

I saw this in a couple of places, but it didn't seem to be working for
me when I tried it.  The tftp server is something quirky running on
Windows, so that might have affected things.  And I was using a
somewhat older version of pxelinux--maybe that was causing trouble.

I probably can't change the flags coming from the server, for
non-technical reasons, so I'm looking for a solution that meets our
odd constraints.

I pulled down the latest release and figured out how to get gpxelinux
going, and it works!  With http even!  For some reason the download of
the kernel and initrd are pretty slow, but I can certainly live with
that.

Mike