[syslinux] isohybrid question

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Mar 13 17:07:14 PST 2010

On 03/13/2010 03:30 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wrote about isohybrid MBR and sdb1 offset:
>> The change is not necessarily bound to built-in
>> MBR generation.
>
> It comes to me that the offset and start address
> of the second set of meta data in the ISO image
> has to match the offset of partition 1 in the
> table of the MBR.
>
> Another point is that the offset must be at least
> 38 kB, better 64 kB.
>
> So it is indeed desirable to produce MBR and
> ISO image in a coordinated way.

Yes, at the very least they need to agree on what the offset is supposed
to be.

My preference would be if we can do the integrated generation without
having to hard-code the actual MBR sequence; i.e. to produce a data file
out of the Syslinux build that can be fed into your tool.

The partition table -- as opposed to the MBR *code* -- probably should
be generated by xorriso/libisofs, which takes care of the "offset"
problem.  The only other thing that needs patching is the entry of the
LBA of isolinux.bin into offset 432; we should be able to keep that
stable.  The handling of forcehd0/ctrlhd0/partok can be dealt with by
selecting different MBR files -- in fact, these are different MBR files
which are already built, and this is how isohybrid handles it.

So all in all I think the only "essential" piece here is that the MBR
code should come out of the mbr/ files in the Syslinux build, instead of
being compiled into xorriso/libisofs, unless, of course, isolinux.bin
itself is also compiled in.