[syslinux] gpxe + SYSLINUX menus = Fail?

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Mon Mar 15 15:36:09 PDT 2010

I am attempting to setup a test gpxe(linux.0) http site, to test among
other things the recent dynamic option 252 solution.

In the process of investigation I stumbled across
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/appnotes/authmenus which indicates the
gpxe can launch vesamenu.c32 directly. Various other pages on
etherboot's site indicate menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 can be used
independently as well.

Has this changed? I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get the
authmenus example working, and it is one failure after another.

I have tried checking syntax, trying different menu configs, all without
success. I even took the one from
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Menu. gpxe just outputs
something that I can't see, then wipes the display and shows

"
ok
. ok
"

using menu.c32 in place of vesamenu.c32 actually outputs an error:
"Initial menu has no LABEL entries!
ok
. ok"

Now, if I modify the setup to fetch pxelinux.0, and have that specify
(vesa)menu.c32, with absolutely no other changes... it works! but the
authentication stuff breaks.

So my question is, does (vesa)menu.c32 require (g)pxelinux.0 these days?

So far I haven't tried older versions yet to see if they work. I have
tested the php script used, etc to verify that it outputs the correct
information, and again it works great just by replacing vesamenu.c32
with pxelinux.0

I know I can use the auth system built into the menu system, but there
are some really nice things to doing this the way the authmenus example
uses. Such as being able to audit the user downloads.

If this example doesn't work any longer, is anyone using a dynamic
system that is similar?

-Andrew