[syslinux] Req: download timer

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Mon Mar 15 18:22:12 PDT 2010

On 3/15/2010 6:05 PM, Shao Miller wrote:
> Andrew Stuart wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone have a module they have wrote and are willing to share to
>> measure the time an image takes to download?
>>

> You might not be aware that gPXE has its own general discussion
> mailing-list. You might be able to benefit from the experience over
> there for your gPXE-related questions.
>
>> As my last post indicates, I am experimenting with gPXE, and am
>> interested in benchmarking tftp/lighttpd/apache for transfers of images
>> / files.
>>

> gPXE has a 'time' command that you can use to time commands, such as
> downloads. Try visiting ROM-O-Matic and looking into the advanced
> options, particularly the TIME_CMD compile option. Also available in
> gpxe/src/config/general.h

> Good luck.
>
> - Shao Miller

Ah yes, in an earlier version of this email, instead of saying module I
said com32. I am still thinking in the sense of bolting gPXE onto my
existing pxelinux setup (although possibly with some changes)..

Interestingly enough my gPXE image was built with TIME_CMD. I had
searched for more information, but I must not have done so correctly.
So I disregarded it.

I went on to believe that such a com32 module could be helpful for the
project in general, to judge speed differences between 3.x and 4.x for
instance..

I knew they have their own mailing list, but I was still stuck in
pxelinux land (go with what you know?!?). In the future I will try
harder to pick the right mailing list.

-Andrew