[syslinux] gpxe + SYSLINUX menus = Fail?

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Mar 15 18:33:22 PDT 2010

Andrew Stuart wrote:

> On 3/15/2010 3:59 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> > On 3/15/2010 3:36 PM, Andrew Stuart wrote:
> >> I am attempting to setup a test gpxe(linux.0) http site, to test among
> >> other things the recent dynamic option 252 solution.
> >>
> >> In the process of investigation I stumbled across
> >> http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/appnotes/authmenus which indicates the
> >> gpxe can launch vesamenu.c32 directly. Various other pages on
> >> etherboot's site indicate menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 can be used
> >> independently as well.
> >>
> >> Has this changed? I have spent quite a bit of time trying to get the
> >> authmenus example working, and it is one failure after another.

gPXE implements some of the COMBOOT support that is native to Syslinux
variants.  This support is not updated as frequently as Syslinux itself,
nor is it as complete, to the best of my knowledge.  Since it is in
general a good idea to tie your COMBOOT32 modules to your Syslinux
version, this is somewhat difficult in the gPXE case, since its
"Syslinux" code doesn't get updated all that often.

> ...Okay, 3.83-pre1 is the first broken version, menu.c32 draws a black
> screen / has a blinking cursor / system appears hung. vesamenu.c32 shows
> a white background, if you hit enter, it says something about needing a
> password, otherwise the screen is unreadable.
>
> -pre7 is where vesamenu.c32 just exits without error and does nothing,
> and I believe menu.c32 spits out the error about not having a LABEL...

If you'd care to share the sample output file from your PHP that
functions as a config-file for [vesa]menu.c32, it could be tested.
That's a good job of narrowing down whereabouts things started behaving
differently.

- Shao Miller