[syslinux] ISOs + memdisk take long time

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Tue Mar 16 11:57:22 PDT 2010

On Sunday, March 14, 2010, 14:24:01, Gene Cumm wrote:

> I've noticed similar behavior across different machines and BIOS
> revisions.  I saw some early machines (vintage 2002) with hardware
> High Speed support (480 Mbps; sometimes referred to as USB 2.0 as HS
> was introduced in 2.0) functioned like Full Speed (12 Mbps; sometimes
> USB 1.1) using SYSLINUX but would function faster in a real operating
> system.

Don't really have to be that old at all - several HP notebooks from
2006 will take around 5 minutes to load my 192MB BartPE SDI file (the
loader is ntldr loaded by syslinux' chain.c32). It also depends a lot
on the pendrive I use - a 2GB Toshiba TransMemory will usually boot
faster than 32GB Sandisk Cruzer, even though the Cruzer is faster when
reading from the OS.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

An original idea can never emerge from committee in the original.
       -- Boyle's Fifth Law