[syslinux] gpxe + SYSLINUX menus = Fail?

Andrew Stuart andrew at shopcusa.com
Tue Mar 16 13:08:14 PDT 2010

On 3/15/2010 6:33 PM, Shao Miller wrote:
> Andrew Stuart wrote:
> gPXE implements some of the COMBOOT support that is native to Syslinux
> variants. This support is not updated as frequently as Syslinux itself,
> nor is it as complete, to the best of my knowledge. Since it is in
> general a good idea to tie your COMBOOT32 modules to your Syslinux
> version, this is somewhat difficult in the gPXE case, since its
> "Syslinux" code doesn't get updated all that often.

Point taken. I hadn't thought about that, I just assumed if it worked
with an old version, as long as I wasn't trying anything new, it would
continue to work. I guess I should find someone with gPXE to pester, and
see if they can't add a notice of which SYSLINUX version it matches in
regards to COMBOOT.

>> ...Okay, 3.83-pre1 is the first broken version, menu.c32 draws a black
>> screen / has a blinking cursor / system appears hung. vesamenu.c32 shows
>> a white background, if you hit enter, it says something about needing a
>> password, otherwise the screen is unreadable.
>>
>> -pre7 is where vesamenu.c32 just exits without error and does nothing,
>> and I believe menu.c32 spits out the error about not having a LABEL...
>>

> If you'd care to share the sample output file from your PHP that
> functions as a config-file for [vesa]menu.c32, it could be tested.
> That's a good job of narrowing down whereabouts things started behaving
> differently.
>
> - Shao Miller

I haven't really modified the example, but included is the output:

menu background atlantis.png
prompt 0
timeout 100
allowoptions 0
menu timeoutrow 29
menu vshift 2
menu rows 8
menu color title  1;36;44   #ff8bc2ff #00000000 std
menu color unsel  37;44     #ff1069c5 #00000000 std
menu color sel    7;37;40   #ff000000 #ffff7518 all
menu color hotkey 1;37;44   #ffffffff #00000000 std
menu color hotsel 1;7;37;40 #ff000431 #ffff7518 all

MENU TITLE Secure Network Boot
LABEL failed
   MENU LABEL Authentication Failed
   MENU disable