[syslinux] Availability of a variable of the TFTP server IP addressto be used in pxelinux.cfg/default

STEFFENS, Michael Michael.STEFFENS at newellco.com
Fri Mar 26 00:06:29 PDT 2010

Hello Shao,

Thank you for your hint.
I saw this one already earlier but I wanted to avoid it for two reasons:
- One of my images uses a CPIO INITRD which I found rather complicated
editing (like I wrote I'm quite new to all that Linux stuff).
- For each new release I will need to do the changes to the prebuilt
images again. I'm not the one who creates the images. I'm downloading
prebuilt open source tools and customize them to be PXE bootable, in
some cases I also customize the INITRD which is simple when it can be
mounted with the "mount -o loop ...".

Also for the information passed to the Linux OS via the APPEND in
pxelinux.cfg/default I don't even know how/where these are
passed/executed. I expect to find it somewhere in the INITRD of the
distributions but it could be also in the compressed kernel file which I
simply don't know.

Well, as you might have read in the lines above I try to avoid using
IPAPPEND as it makes the whole thing quite complex for a novice. If
there's nothing else that would be the way to go then but... Am I really
the only one having the same boot images deployed to many different
PXE/TFTP servers? How are others passing PXE/TFTP server specific
information to the PXE bootable OS? Especially when I read in the docs
that the usage of IPAPPEND is not recommended.

Thanks,
Michael

This message may contain information that is confidential and/or protected by law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, copying or communication of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message. Please note that although we will take all commercially reasonable efforts to prevent viruses from being transmitted from our systems, it is the responsibility of the recipient to check for and prevent adverse action by viruses on its own systems.