[syslinux] INCLUDE is broken in pxelinux/menu.c32 3.85

Mike Coleman tutufan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 15:07:40 PDT 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 12:19 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 03/24/2010 02:54 PM, Mike Coleman wrote:
>> I was trying out the INCLUDE command within menu.c32 (via pxelinux,
>> actually gpxelinux) and noticed that it's broken.  The symptom is that
>> the text is included, as expected, but the subsequent text from the
>> including file is wrong.  In some cases it actually pulls from above
>> the INCLUDE leading to the INCLUDE being reprocessed (an infinite
>> recursion).  (The recursion seems to stop after 20-30 pulls, so I
>> guess there's some sort of depth limit.)
>>
>> I was able to proceed by using a subordinate call to menu, so this
>> isn't a problem for me now, but thought you might want to know.
>>

> Could you give me more details of your setup, and especially if it works
> in a previous version (e.g. 3.84)?

Unfortunately, I didn't save the failing config file.  3.85 is the
only version I've ever tried using INCLUDE with, so no help there.  I
was hoping it would be something obvious you could spot in the source.
 If I get time, I'll see if I can reconstruct the failing file.

More details: this was with gpxelinux.0, though it's hard to imagine
that matters.  The file had about 15 labels, plus 4-5 menu separators.
 Can't think of anything that would be remarkable about it.  So no
one's ever mentioned running into this?

Mike