[syslinux] Availability of a variable of the TFTP server IP addressto be used in pxelinux.cfg/default

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 29 15:52:45 PDT 2010

On 03/26/2010 12:06 AM, STEFFENS, Michael wrote:

> Well, as you might have read in the lines above I try to avoid using
> IPAPPEND as it makes the whole thing quite complex for a novice. If
> there's nothing else that would be the way to go then but... Am I really
> the only one having the same boot images deployed to many different
> PXE/TFTP servers? How are others passing PXE/TFTP server specific
> information to the PXE bootable OS? Especially when I read in the docs
> that the usage of IPAPPEND is not recommended.

ipappend 1 is not recommended for anything long term because it means
DHCP leases will not be renewed.  This is a very bad thing, especially
if the network you're on has short leases.  However, all you need it for
is something "immediate", i.e. download another file, it serves the
purpose just fine.

ipappend 2 has no such problem; all it does is identify the boot
interface by its MAC address.