[syslinux] port syslinux isohybrid perl script to C

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Wed Mar 31 09:47:34 PDT 2010

Hi,

> Quite frankly, if we need such a program, then we already have it, and
> any integration with xorriso is completely pointless.
> If we can't eliminate a step and a user interface, then the whole
> exercise is moot.

We can eliminate the step of post-processing.
The MBR template could be created once and
used many times.
Its production fits better into the usual
course of ISOLINUX preparation, which happens
_before_ the result is copied to media.

A default MBR template that comes with syslinux
would eliminate the need for user interaction
in most cases.
If the name of that default MBR is specified
as syslinux standard, then libisofs could find
it without help by the user.
So we'd spare completely the isohybrid step
in normal situations.

isohybrid would get added a bit of new user
interface, though. For experts.

There is also a technical advantage:

isohybrid needs random read-write access
to the finished ISO image.
libisofs could write the image directly to a
target that only provides sequential write
access: E.g. a SSH pipe, or a CD-R.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas