[syslinux] port syslinux isohybrid perl script to C

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Mar 31 11:21:45 PDT 2010

On 03/31/2010 10:38 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> I WILL NOT consider supporting a half-arsed farce
>
> Understood.
>
> May i ask what i did to deserve such a language ?

Not listening the first time.

There is only one sensible place to divide the responsibilities, and
that is between the bits that are structurally invariant, and those that
are code-dependent.  There is one other solution possible, which is to
come up with some kind of scripting language which can subsume *all*
booting protocols, but that would be insanely complex.

Having something where I have to create another utility to manipulate
metadata files that are just used to feed into xorriso, when that
creates as many steps and as many utilities as the current situation,
which doesn't require *any* special handling in the iso generator, is
preposterous.

Please, either do this right or don't do it at all.

>> The reason your previous attempt was such a spectacular failure
> It still works. Failure looks different.

It only works because I put in a *really* ugly and really fragile hack
to deal with it.  I'm distinctly unhappy about having had to do so, and
I would like to put a robust solution in place (preferred), or have it
ripped out.

> But you may disable it by either
> - telling me to disable it in libisofs
> - or changing the magic number of isolinux.bin

I probably will remove support for it in Syslinux 4.00 unless we can
come up with something better before then.