[syslinux] Got modified cat.c32 working but original display.c32 not working

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed May 5 11:32:02 PDT 2010

Date sent:      	Wed, 05 May 2010 10:22:23 -0700
From:           	"H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com>
To:             	syslinux at zytor.com
Subject:        	Re: [syslinux] Got modified cat.c32 working but original
	display.c32 not working
Send reply to:  	For discussion of Syslinux and tftp-hpa
<syslinux at zytor.com>
	<mailto:syslinux-
request at zytor.com?subject=unsubscribe>
	<mailto:syslinux-request at zytor.com?subject=subscribe>

> On 05/04/2010 09:19 PM, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > In the 3.x versions I would copy the original isolinux.bin file, and then run
> > the make command to build the cat.c32 and then just copy that file. Have
> > now done a make, and copied the bin file and all the .c32 files I use to the
> > image, and the cat.c32 is working, but the display.c32 still freezes.
> >
> > Noticed the sizes of some files are different after the make, even thou the
> > source code from them was not changed?
> >
> > Not sure why display isn't working?
> > Even tried just running display with no filename to see if it would print the
> > error message, but it just freezes.
>
> The underlying library, *and* the underlying file format is different in
> Syslinux 4.

Just to note: I was not trying to use a 3.86 build of cat.c with a version
Syslinux 4.

With 3.x I would copy the modified cat.c to the com32/cmenu directory, and
run the make in the com32 directory, and it would build the cat.c32 and that
could then be copied with the original isolinux.bin from the download.

With version 4, this cat.c32 would just freeze. Did a build of the complete
syslinx 4, and copied the isolinux.bin and .c32 programs I use, and this has
the cat.c32 working as before. The display.c32 thou does not work, and it is
unchanged.

The display.c source seems to be exactly the same as earlier version, so not
sure why it doesn't seem to work. Even running it with no file name does
display the error message that no file was included.

> 	-hpa

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI         9628412.959704   |   EINSTEIN     3959636.800851
ROSETTA      1894882.412180   |   ABC           790361.739164