[syslinux] cpuid() fails on Syslinux 4

Erwan Velu erwanaliasr1 at gmail.com
Tue May 11 06:34:48 PDT 2010

Hey,

Gert reported me that cpuidtest.c32 reports weird stuff.
After looking at it, I found a potential bug when the cpu vendor isn't
detected from an exisiting list. That will be easy to fix, that's not
the purpose of this mail.

When investigating why the vendor was wrong, I found that a very old
commit in the 4.0 branch generates unexpected results when calling
cpuid().

This commit changes the cpuid() calls and got elected by my bisect as
the faulty commit
http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commitdiff;h=04e7c2784dd3fd45090d1ddb31905dd7a9b921a3;hp=24ffb34fcff5b50b56d987e18dcf519e278c771e

My asm skill sux that much than I don't have any clue on the
reason/potential fix.

At least, the generated garbage shows off other bugs that have to be
fixed too ;o)

Any ideas ?

Cheers,
Erwan,