[syslinux] Get MEMDISK parameters from WinPE 32/64-bit?

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri May 21 07:21:04 PDT 2010

Lindgren Daniel wrote:

> I'm aware of MDISKCHK.COM, but neither will execute in WinPE since it is
> 32-bit (or 64-bit) only.

Not intended as a suggestion for running in Windows, just mentioning the
official Syslinux offering for DOS.  Glad you're aware.

> Yes I do, loading a 150 MB image to RAM twice isn't much of a problem
> with recent computers (GB's of RAM).

Ok.  192 MB of RAM would not deal with this, but your needs are
different. :)

> I use the latest version, WinPE 3.0, which is based on Windows 7. It has
> the best hardware support "out of the box".
>
> I'm not right now, I'll give it a try if it would give me functionality
> similar to getargs/mdisckch in a WinPE environment.

About WinVBlock: I've no idea if it will run or not, as nobody's ever
reported a trial to me.

> I wouldn't know where to start ... it's unlikely I'd ever produce
> anything usable.
>
> Well, if an executable would be possible I'd prefer that ... :)

I don't know how to map the particular region of memory in a user-land
process, or if that's even possible.  It might very well not be[1].
Consider security, for instance.  Sorry.

- Shao Miller

[1] http://www.osronline.com/ddkx/kmarch/k106_9j5e.htm