[syslinux] MENU SAVE vs RAID-1

Sebastian Herbszt herbszt at gmx.de
Sun May 30 06:09:56 PDT 2010

Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How does MENU SAVE interact with /boot on RAID-1?  Doesn't it introduce
> a hidden inconsistency, which may resolve in unexpected ways?  (Like
> mentioned in extlinux.txt at boot-once support.)
> --
> Thanks,
> Feri.

I assume every mention of RAID-1 in the documentation means software RAID-1.
Hardware RAID-1 implementations should not introduce any problems because the
option ROM should handle the writes/reads correctly. The use of software RAID-1
looks indeed problematic. adv_write can only write to the boot device and not the
mirror. Fake RAID might suffer from this issue too.

Sebastian