[syslinux] Stumped by extlinux After OS Upgrade

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Nov 3 14:53:40 PDT 2010

On 11/03/2010 09:22 AM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:

> I've never had to reinstall grub unless something happened to the MBR.  It
> just seems to be able to find its various stages.  I'm still not clear
> what extlinux was doing in my case.  I suspect the first stage was loading
> fine, but it couldn't find the next stage due to the shuffling my update
> script performs.  I also suspect the extlinux --update repairs that link.
> Maybe that's all wrong.  Maybe the stage transfer went fine, but the odd
> behavior was simply version incompatibility between the stages.

That's because Grub by default stashed information in unreserved parts
of your disk (specifically, the gap between the MBR and the first
partition, which most partition programs create.)  I consider this
unsafe, since a lot of tools are known to muck with this space in a
completely uncoordinated fashion.