[syslinux] pxelinux magic options 208

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Nov 3 15:18:52 PDT 2010

I have 2 groups of machines, and within each group the pxelinux menu
configuration is standard. It would be great to have 2 configuration files
rather than one for each machine.

I found the pxelinux magic option configfile (209) in

   http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX

and it suggests for ISC dhcpd:

   site-option-space "pxelinux";
   option pxelinux.magic f1:00:74:7e;
   option pxelinux.configfile "common";

however version 4.1.1-P1 rejects this syntax, claiming not to recognize
"pxelinux" in the first line. The wiki suggests this is good for ISC dhcpd
version 3 - is it possible 4.1.1-P1 does not support it?

In looking for an answer, I found http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5071 which
states that "The option code 208 will be adopted for this purpose and
immediately deprecated." It also states "The magic option MAY NOT be
implemented, as it has been deprecated." This leaves me quite confused.

Is there a way to specify the pxelinux configuration file in the
dhcpd.conf?

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg at nber.org