[syslinux] pxelinux magic options 208

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Sun Nov 7 13:11:05 PST 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> --On Wednesday, November 03, 2010 06:18:52 PM -0400 Daniel Feenberg
> <feenberg at nber.org> wrote:
>
>> I have 2 groups of machines, and within each group the pxelinux menu
>> configuration is standard. It would be great to have 2 configuration
>> files rather than one for each machine.

> It works fine, but you failed to copy the block above which defines the
> "pxelinux" option space.  Without that, the DHCP server doesn't know what
> you're talking about.

OK, thanks, I am unable to find any documentation for declaring option
spaces in the ISC dhcpd README, RELNOTES or man page, but they are
mentioned as being supported since version 3.  The various RFCs do not
specify syntax for the ISC dhcpd.conf file. But following the wiki example
I added to dhcpd.conf:

   option space pxelinux;
   option pxelinux.configfile code 209 = text;

as global options and then for each client:

   option pxelinux.configfile "bsddefault";

On rebooting the client it reports that the configuration file name is
"pxelinux.cfg/default" and not what I want - "pxelinux.cfg/bsddefault".

Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks

Daniel Feenberg
NBER