[syslinux] problem booting files with .bin in their name (eg. memtest86+.bin)

Micah Anderson micah at riseup.net
Wed Nov 10 20:17:27 PST 2010

It took me forever to figure out why I couldn't tftp boot into
memtest86+, I had the file "memtest86+.bin" installed into my tftproot,
and it was being loaded when I selected that menu item, but it would
result in a series of repeating numbers on the left hand side of the
screen.

Eventually, after trying a million different things, and then asking
someone I know who has fought these problems in the past, he suggested
that in the past there was an issue with syslinux/pxelinux with files
that had .bin as a suffix.

So, I tried to remove it, and there we go, it works. I'm using 4.02.

if there is a better place to file this 'bug', please let me know!

thanks for your work on this project!
micah