[syslinux] Strange bug since 3.83 version

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Nov 12 11:22:27 PST 2010

On 11/12/2010 01:58 AM, Éric Seigne wrote:
>    I've constated this bug on several computers with theses network cards:
>     - Computer A: RTL8101E
> 03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E P
> CI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
> 03:00.0 0200: 10ec:8136 (rev 02)
>
>     - Computer B: Atheros AR8132 PCI-E
>    This problem is present with pxelinux.0 since 3.83 version, 4.03
>    included :( ... if i use pxelinux.0 from 3.82 everything is good (but
>    some new hardware does not work damned !)
>    Do you have some ideas (please say "yes") ?

What are the actual machines?

There are some machines with mainboard BIOS problems which cause this,
but I'm particularly interested in your case since you say 3.82 worked
but 3.83 didn't.  In particular, if you could try the 3.83-prereleases
(or even better, if you feel comfortable with building from source, use
"git bisect") it might be possible to narrow this to a specific change.

However, first of all try "localboot 0" as Gene points out.