[syslinux] PXELINUX: DNS issue on unqualified names

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 07:32:15 PST 2010

Per doc/pxelinux.txt, the special PXELINUX filename specification of
"IP address::filename" allows "IP address" to be a DNS recognizable
name.  If it contains no dots, the domain name (DHCP option 15) is
supposed to be appended to qualify the name.

Testing PXELINUX 3.86, this behavior does occur as I can see the DNS
request having the specified domain name appended properly.  Testing
with PXELINUX 4.03, I notice that the domain name is not appended.

I'm going to look into why this occurs.

--
-Gene