[syslinux] pxelinux 4.03 taking forever to find ..../pxelinux.cfg/default

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 04:16:27 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 06:08, Doug Scoular <dscoular at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there anything that controls the speed with which pxelinux.0 (4.03)
> enumerates the files in .../pxelinux.cfg before it reaches the
> .../pxelinux.cfg/default file ?
>
>       pxelinux.cfg/01-00-50-56-ba-48-0e
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC12B2D9
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC12B2D
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC12B2
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC12B
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC12
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC1
>       pxelinux.cfg/AC
>       pxelinux.cfg/A
>       pxelinux.cfg/default
>
> It's taking several minutes before moving on to the next file... any
> thoughts on why this would be ?

Probably timeouts.  If your TFTPD is not returning a file not found
(OpCode: Error Code (5); Error Code: File not found (1)), that could
cause PXELINUX to wait for the TFTP timeout before attempting the next
file.  I think the default TFTP timeout in PXELINUX is 60 seconds.
Try a packet capture and watch the interactions of your TFTPD and
PXELINUX client.  You should see a client read request followed by a
daemon file not found.

For me, I normally see these possible config file names overwriting
the previous (making it quieter from a user perspective) and normally
all of them are attempted in under 1 second (about 0.05 seconds for a
test I just ran).  Do you actually see all 10 lines like you have
mentioned above?

--
-Gene