[syslinux] Chainloading / Nested PXELINUX

msacks ntwrkd at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 15:29:13 PST 2010

My problem is that one pxelinux.0 isn't compatible with the other.
I should also add that both instances come from a vendor, and are not
plain-vanilla PXELINUX/SYSLINUX releases.

Perhaps it will be better explained if I post the components:

#hostname
Server1
#pwd
/tftpboot

# ls
bsb1.lss  bsb.msg  img2a  img3a  pxelinux.0  pxelinux.cfg  tcrootfs  tc.zip

#hostname
Server2
#pwd
/tftpboot

  blacklist
 chain.c32
boot_v.c32
 isolinux.bin
rootfs.tar.lzma
vesamenu.c32
back.jpg
boot.cat
 boot.c32
initrd.img
 isolinux.cfg
sample.msg
 vmlinuz
pxelinux.0
 pxelinux.cfg

LABEL IBMUpdates
        MENU HIDE
        MENU ToolCenter
        kernel img2a
        append initrd=img3a root=/dev/ram0 rw ramdisk_size=100000
tftp_server=10.1.1.2 tftp_tcrootfs=tcrootfs tftp_tczip=
updates/firmware/tc.zip dimmdata=00000000 vga=0x317 debug_level=1
silent_boot=no boot_src=4

I consolidate the two by using server2's default configuration, so the
only difference is the image files being referenced.

So I create two directories,

server1images/
server2images/

the base tftproot is not modified and contains server2's pxelinux.0.

pxelinux.cfg now has two menu items one for server1, one for server2,
and i reference their respective images like so:

kernel server1images/img2a

or

kernel server2images/initrd.img.

If I try to consolidate the two,  it says invalid or corrupt kernel
image when I try to boot server1's kernel image. If I take those same
files and put them on their own standalone PXELINUX instance, it boots
fine without issue.