[syslinux] Trouble with Superfloppy format

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 04:40:41 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 04:22, Sven Geggus <lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> are there known issues with some bioses not booting from Superfloppy format?

Could you be more specific by "Superfloppy format"?  Preferably,
include the CHS geometry of the disc and its total capacity
(especially if there's a trailing partial cylinder).

Generally, the standard formats are the most compatible (formats
listed in doc/memdisk that don't say "(extended)").  I normally stick
strictly to 1440k and 2880k floppy images just to be safe and didn't
start using 2880k until last year.

> All I get is the Syslinux (c) line and nothing else happens afterwords.

Could you provide some more details?  What version are you using?
What is the access method specifier code, ie, CHS in line below?

"SYSLINUX 4.03 2010-10-22 CHS Copyright (C) 1994-2010 H. Peter Anvin et al"

There's also EDD.  Copying your entire banner line (like above) might be useful.

> Everything works fine if a partition is added to the device. Unfortunately
> however the target device can not be partitioned.
>
> Any hint?

Also, I'd assume this is real hardware and not a disk image loaded
into memory with something like MEMDISK?  It could be the BIOS, floppy
controller, floppy drive or floppy disc.

--
-Gene