[syslinux] Trouble with Superfloppy format

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Wed Nov 17 09:07:41 PST 2010

Shao Miller <Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca> wrote:

> I'm not 100% sure that your 'mkdosfs' would've created the filesystem as
> though the USB storage device was a floppy, so you could potentially
> adapt my quick'n'dirty Windows superfloppy creation guide (attached) for
> its details on some bytes to change in the filesystem.

Hm , I've been using the -I switch:

--cut--
       -I     It is typical for fixed disk devices to be  partitioned  so, by
              default, you are not permitted to create a filesystem across the
              entire device.  mkdosfs will  complain  and  tell  you  that it
              refuses  to  work.   This is different when using MO disks. One
              doesn't always need partitions on MO disks.  The file system can
              go  directly  to the whole disk.  Under other OSes this is known
              as the 'superfloppy' format.

              This switch will force mkdosfs to work properly.
--cut--

Sven

--
"If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable."
(Windows 95 BSOD)

/me is giggls at ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web