[syslinux] Trouble with Superfloppy format

Sven Geggus lists at fuchsschwanzdomain.de
Wed Nov 17 09:31:21 PST 2010

Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:

> I doubt that it'll ever work reliably as a "Superfloppy" if it doesn't
> fit inside what appears to be the old limits on a floppy (256,255,63).

Well it _does_ work fine one one Machine but does not on another.

Non Superfloppy mode is not an option because the target device (not the one
I'm currently testing but same problem) an encrypted USB Flash drive
(http://www.takeanyware.com/Products/ClassifiedSecureFlashDrive/tabid/91/Default.aspx)
does not "like" to get partitioned.

> Another idea is to change from H/S 64/32 to 255/63 then redo the
> partitioning (3948+ Cylinders; best to use whole cylinders for
> partitions for compatibility).  Total capacity is 121 * 2 ^ 28.  Based
> on the total capacity, H/S 64/32 is the best way to maximize usable
> capacity.

Which way would I be able to do "partitioning" when I did not use anything
like fdisk at all?

All I did is "mkdosfs -I /dev/sdb".

BTW my syslinux manpage talks about a "-s" Option which seems to be gone. Any
alternative?

Sven

--
All bugs added by David S. Miller <davem at redhat.com>
Linux Kernel boot message from /usr/src/linux/net/8021q/vlan.c

/me is giggls at ircnet, http://sven.gegg.us/ on the Web