[syslinux] Debian bug#604245: Syslinux fails (does not receive key presses on Sony vaio Z12C5E)

Gyorgy Jeney nog.lkml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 11:48:38 PST 2010

On 22 November 2010 22:46, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:
> "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> writes:
>
>> For a regression... I really need it narrowed down... 3.71 to 4.02 is a
>> huge change.
>
> That's of course true.  György, are you willing to test some
> intermediate syslinux versions on this machine?

I checked out the git version of syslinux and tried to do a bisection,
but there where so many un-testable points (uncompilable, fails due to
something else) between syslinux-3.86 (last known working) and
syslinux-4.00 (first known non-working) that I gave up on the
bisection.

But then I noticed that I wasn't following the (debian) instructions
properly and I was writing the image to /dev/sde, instead of
/dev/sde1.  As soon as a partition was created, an appropriate MBR
installed, the image in question worked on the Sony.

Is such partition-less configurations supported?

nog.