[syslinux] New 'quiet' behavior - optional?

Lucas De Marchi lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi
Tue Nov 23 16:23:23 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:32 PM, Ferenc Wagner <wferi at niif.hu> wrote:
>> When I see these messages by a fraction of a second (not specifically
>> in syslinux), I always hear users complaining that the system as a
>> whole is not well integrated, there are still some rough edges to be
>> polished. The reason is that it appears and goes away faster than the
>> user is able to read and slower than necessary to be unnoticed.
>
> How does the user know that it isn't part of the system BIOS?

Ideally the bios doesn't show anything if configuration didn't change
since last time the computer was booted (an example of this behavior
is the Asus eeepc).

Even if BIOS shows something, the common behavior is to blank the
screen before going to the boot loader. The final result is that
screen is blanked between BIOS and bootloader and then between the
banner and the graphical UI. If there isn't anything written in the
banner, then there's one less blanking.

regards,

Lucas De Marchi