[syslinux] New 'quiet' behavior - optional?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:36:32 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 17:45, Lucas De Marchi
<lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That said, an easy workaround is to load a UI that overwrites that
>> portion of the screen.  There was a discussion in the last few months
>> about trying to make it look like it's silent to the user when things
>> move fast enough.
>
> That didn't work for me. I can see the message by a fraction of second
> before the graphical UI overwrites it.

What media are you loading from?  From personal experience, I've found
CDs the slowest, especially slim drives, with TFTP, HDD and flash to
be very close but dependent on a few variables.  A simple optimization
on CDs is to reduce the random seeking by naming files in a line
(preferably with nothing inbetween).  I think names of isolinux.bin,
isolinux.cfg, vesamenu.c32 and vesamenu.cfg should cram these files
together in sequence in an ISO.

--
-Gene