[syslinux] Boot 32GB Multi-partition Flash as USB-ZIP

Michal Soltys soltys at ziu.info
Wed Nov 24 14:22:40 PST 2010

On 10-11-24 21:17, Ray Rashif wrote:

> I'm not too sure about the LBA stuff. How should I check this? I
> initially did the partitioning of the disk with KDE's
> partitionmanager, resulting in a FAT32 with 'LBA' set and an EXT2 with
> 'boot' set. I only did the labelling of the FAT in Windows because
> mtools' mlabel was messing up the allocation unit.
>
> Like I mentioned, recent hardware have  no problem booting off of the
> stick. I'm particularly curious because the BIOS of this old desktop
> looks like it knows the difference between a ZIP and a Flash drive.

In this context - if the pc is a bit older (say 2007/8 or earlier) and
if it has an award bios - than your problem might be in FAT32.
Generally, those bioses will often /require/ the active partition to
/have/ FAT16 filesystem for it to be treated as anything else than
CHS-only floppy - even if you force usb-hdd, usb-zip or if the bios has
a bit more modern usb harddisk entry (with named device) in boot menu.

As crazy as it sounds, I did experience it myself on handful of times,
and there was a thread on the mailing list a while ago that pointed me
into right direction as well:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2006-September/007241.html

(read the whole thread)

Btw, if you plan to use something else than syslinux and linux - such as
booting freedos or anything that might rely on proper chs settings -
note that bioses tend to have absolutely fantastic imaginations about
usb stick geometry. Award ones in particular...