[syslinux] New 'quiet' behavior - optional?

Lucas De Marchi lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi
Fri Nov 26 04:59:51 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 24, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Gene Cumm <gene.cumm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 19:23, Lucas De Marchi
> <lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi> wrote:
>>>
>>> How does the user know that it isn't part of the system BIOS?
>>
>> Ideally the bios doesn't show anything if configuration didn't change
>> since last time the computer was booted (an example of this behavior
>> is the Asus eeepc).
>>
>> Even if BIOS shows something, the common behavior is to blank the
>> screen before going to the boot loader. The final result is that
>> screen is blanked between BIOS and bootloader and then between the
>> banner and the graphical UI. If there isn't anything written in the
>> banner, then there's one less blanking.
>
> Most option ROMs I've seen don't bother with blanking.  Storage
> controllers (Especially Intel Rapid Restore and AHCI on current
> desktops and laptops) and PXE ROMs are the most common ones my users
> would see.  I also see a bunch of other option ROMs on more populated
> systems, especially servers.
>
> With most of these machines, the BIOS blanks the screen then the
> option ROMs load, populating the screen with text, then the bootloader
> loads.  If the option ROMs didn't load (disabled in BIOS; for
> desktop/laptop storage controllers that often means legacy storage
> mode), a blank screen would be the result when proceeding to the
> bootloader.
>
> One idea to make it look "nicer" might be a config directive like
> "UIDELAY", measured in 1/10ths of a second like the timeouts but such
> a feature request would be far easier to implement once the config
> parser is changed over to C.  When used, it could display a message
> like "Loading user interface, please wait..." (maybe another directive
> "UIDELAYMSG").  It would eliminate the flash causing "rough edges"
> such that users could read the message.  This delay/message would
> solely be used at first load and not subsequent loads of the UI within
> one session in Syslinux.

As you pointed out in another email, "With regards to the banner,
which includes the copyright, it is
written before the config is loaded".

How are you planning such a config now? Besides, if it has to wait
until the config is parsed, I think it loses its original reason for
existence, i.e. making debug easier.

regards,

Lucas De Marchi