[syslinux] how to compile syslinux-4.03

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 09:51:00 PST 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 12:16, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 06:09 AM, Aaron Luo wrote:
>> Hi Gene,
>>
>> thanks for your reply.
>>
>> My build system is RadHat Advance 5 update 5.
>> the version of gcc is 4.1.2
>> nasm is latest one, version is 2.0.9
>> I don't know the builtin version. i just install bash from the disc.

Binutils is a package.  Try running 'as --version' and the GNU
assembler should show you the version.  GNU assembler is a part of
binutils.

The other user had CentOS 5.5, which should be similar (if not same)
versions.  I never heard if an update to binutils solved this issue or
if the user had to also upgrade GCC in order for things to work.  I'm
BCC'ing the user as I'm uncertain if he is on the list.

>> So, can you tell me the standard compile environment?
>>

> I tend to be running on Fedora, in the case of 4.03 that was build on
> Fedora 13.

As an example of other functional build environments, I personally use
Ubuntu 10.04 with current updates and a special MinGW package to make
win64/syslinux64.exe which works for me but I try to use the official
binaries when possible for my production environments.

--
-Gene