[syslinux] PXELINUX: initrd loading failed

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 06:12:29 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 02:20, Muhammad Ammar <mammar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually OS boots successfully but after a long time(approx 18 min). It
> seems that the culprit is NIC, due to which it takes too much time to
> download the image.
>
> I will try boot with new NIC.

It's probably a little different.  TFTP, as normally implemented, will
only have one packet on the wire at a time (either a request for a
block or an ack with the block).  For such a large image, try using
gpxe/gpxelinux.0 and a standard web (http) server.  It's a drop-in
replacement for core/pxelinux.0 to provide PXELINUX on top of gPXE's
more advanced capabilities.  I know that I've seen just bouncing
across one fast router tripled the load time due to latency versus the
same subnet for one of my production environments.

You'd replace "initrd=initrd0.img" with
"initrd=http://myServer/initrd0.img" (of course, correcting this for
your environment).  I think gPXE will provide DNS services if
information is provided by your DHCP server but I'm uncertain if it
must be fully qualified or if gPXE will listen to the search domains
and automatically append when needed.

> Very very thanks to all of you for kind and great help

You're welcome.