[syslinux] pxelinux - how to direct client to find source files for pxe loading

Pika Fletcher cerpika at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 15:29:12 PDT 2010

I've got a Fedora 13 box that I am using as a pxe server to pxe load
client machines. Using dhcp, tftp, and http I have been able to
succesfully pxe load clients. However I am now trying to serve up
multiple images via a menu, and not having any luck in configuring my
pxelinux.cfg/default file to direct clients to the appropriate source
repositories. I do have the pxelinux.cfg/default file pointing to the
correct vmlinuz and initrd.img.

I'm pretty sure I am just missing the right "append" argument in my
default file to point to the correct source repository for their
selected menu option. I want it so that if a user selects 'ubuntu' off
the menu, their client gets pointed to the ubuntu source file
directory. As it is right now, it always tries to pull the source
files from "http://1.1.1.2/cdserver", which it gets from my
dhcpd.conf. But I am trying to direct the clients to pull the
different source repositories from subdirectories of that (like
http://1.1.1.2/cdserver/ubuntu, or http://1.1.1.2/cdserver/redhat),
and I cant figure out the right way to do that. I have tried arguments
like 'url' 'server' 'source', but no luck!

Thanks for your help!

My dhcpd.conf
-------------------------------
ddns-update-style none;
server-name "http://1.1.1.2/cdserver";
server-identifier 1.1.1.2;
next-server 1.1.1.2;

subnet 1.1.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 1.1.1.10 1.1.1.254;
default-lease-time 3600;
max-lease-time 4800;
option time-offset -8;
filename "pxelinux.0";
}
 --------------------------------

My pxelinux.cfg/default
---------------------------------
serial 0 19200
default linux
prompt 0
timeout 5000
display boot.msg
label linux
  kernel 10.2/vmlinuz
  append initrd=10.2/initrd.img root=/dev/ram0 console=tty0
console=ttyS0,19200 quiet action=install mode=silent dhclient
ramdisk_size=143855