[syslinux] configuration directive fixes

Alexey Gladkov gladkov.alexey at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 14:47:19 PDT 2010

17.10.2010 00:37, Gene Cumm wrote:
> I believe it mentions only pointing to a module for a few reasons.
> For starters, it might look pretty stupid to have a selection in the
> UI to load itself.

I'm sorry, but this is documentation.

> That said, with menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 you can hide a label from the
> menu with "MENU HIDE".  At this time, I believe it is implemented
> exactly like DEFAULT is except it loads immediately rather than being
> loaded eventually based on TIMEOUT, PROMPT, ONTIMEOUT, user input and
> possibly other factors.

Yes, UI is implemented like DEFAULT, but I think this is wrong.
Please, read commit message:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=boot/syslinux/syslinux.git;a=commit;h=e21e66137b454fb3afd50a113de68599dd28de09

Directive 'UI' was created to not abuse directive 'DEFAULT'. But you
are now proposing to abuse 'UI'.

> If you are using menu.c32/vesamenu.c32 as a UI and want a workaround
> that does work for now, try one of these:

Why do we need such workarounds, which are not documented?

> (side question that probably should be a separate discussion) How do
> you override a global APPEND for manual command lines or DEFAULT/UI
> (when DEFAULT/UI does not reference a LABEL)?

I'm not sure if correctly understood the question, but I will answer:)

If you mean the editing options at boottime, then interface module
(menu/vesamenu) handle this.

If you mean how I change the settings from the section 'LABEL', I
suggest that second my commit. I added a new directive 'ADDAPPEND',
which works as in lilo.

--
Rgrds, legion