[syslinux] configuration directive fixes

Alexey Gladkov gladkov.alexey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 07:47:13 PDT 2010

17.10.2010 06:11, Gene Cumm wrote:
> Let me restate this as it seems like I might not have been clear.   If
> a global APPEND is set in a config, it is always inserted after the
> first argument into the command line of a manually entered command
> line

Global APPEND is inserted into the command line and can be edited.

> With a LABEL, if an APPEND is specified, the global APPEND is
> ignored.  If a LABEL APPEND of "APPEND -" is specified, no arguments
> are appended.

Yes.

> I think it would be worthwhile to find a way to override this behavior
> if desired.

I'm using extlinux on my laptop. There is my configuration (almost):

UI vesamenu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 150
APPEND ro root=/dev/sda2 resume=/dev/sda1 panic=30

LABEL vmlinuz
   MENU LABEL Linux (^default)
   LINUX /boot/vmlinuz
   INITRD /boot/initrd.img

LABEL failsafe
   MENU LABEL Linux (^failsafe mode)
   LINUX /boot/vmlinuz
   INITRD /boot/initrd.img
   ADDAPPEND failsafe vga=normal

LABEL vmlinuz-2.6.26
   MENU LABEL Kernel (2.6.26)
   LINUX  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26
   INITRD /boot/initrd-2.6.26.img

LABEL vmlinuz-2.6.32
   MENU LABEL Kernel (2.6.32)
   LINUX  /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32
   INITRD /boot/initrd-2.6.32.img

If I load any of the LABELs, it will use the parameters from the
global 'APPEND'. If I load the 'failsafe', then 'ADDAPPEND' parameters
will be added to global parameters.

This scheme helps to avoid duplication of parameters and easy
modification.

--
Rgrds, legion