[syslinux] [syslinux:disklib] disklib: make CHS calculation match core/fs/diskio.c

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Sun Oct 17 14:27:56 PDT 2010

Hello Shao, hpa,

I thought it was really ironic that you guys mentioned this.  I remember back when I was imaging XP, I was trying to work out specifically what I'd want to do to get gPXE/PXELINUX/COMBOOT to simplify our imaging process which at the time was using a very clunky XP live CD that took forever to boot up...  I ultimately ended up booting DOS from iSCSI and imaging via INT13 with Ghost 8, which worked pretty well.

Still, while I was wrapping my head around the concepts I was trying to exploit, I was browsing through all of these com32 modules in the SYSLINUX package then hopped on IRC and said, "Hey guys, is there a COM32 module for imaging disks?  Something like DD.c32?"

While several people (you guys included I think) remarked that it was an interesting idea, I never found anything...  Hence the Ghost 8 use :-D

I do think it would be really nifty to have a DVD with ISOLINUX that boots to a menu and images all via COM32...   no HAL issues or hardware compatibility issues, no need to wait for a "thick" protected mode OS to load.  Making modern operating systems easier to deploy by exploiting the ubiquity of the "modern" BIOS implementations has a high geek-sexiness factor to it ;)

Cheers,
Andrew Bobulsy