[syslinux] configuration directive fixes

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Oct 18 09:20:29 PDT 2010

On 10/16/2010 07:11 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:

> I don't think I'd consider it abusing UI but perhaps others think
> otherwise.  I thought DEFAULT was supposed to be used to indicate a
> default end image/kernel/OS to boot while UI was meant to be a program
> to start immediately while a user is deciding what to do.  Under that
> assumption, I think my suggestion is valid.

That's pretty much more or less it.

> Let me restate this as it seems like I might not have been clear.   If
> a global APPEND is set in a config, it is always inserted after the
> first argument into the command line of a manually entered command
> line, a DEFAULT statement or a UI statement (assuming that the DEFAULT
> and UI statements are stand-alone statements that do not reference any
> LABEL).  With a LABEL, if an APPEND is specified, the global APPEND is
> ignored.  If a LABEL APPEND of "APPEND -" is specified, no arguments
> are appended.
>
> I think it would be worthwhile to find a way to override this behavior
> if desired.

Realistically, it probably is undesirable to have a global APPEND affect
UI, but if UI points to a label, then it really needs to honor the
APPEND in that label.

Alternatively, and this might in some ways be a better way to handle
this: .c32 files probably shouldn't honor global APPEND at all.  This is
somewhat ugly, of course, but would probably avoid some real problems.
The big issue is if someone uses global APPEND with, say, mboot.c32, but
that would be a very awkward configuration.