[syslinux] PXELinux question

Anton Aylward anton.aylward at rogers.com
Fri Oct 1 17:08:52 PDT 2010

Yes, I know, this should be in the wiki ...

I have a couple of laptops that won't boot off USB - no bios capability.

I have PXELinux serving OK, DHCP and TFTP work fine
I have a number of ISO images on the server and on a USB stick.
The USB stick is also bootable - it has a copy of grub.

I am confused about menu writing.  I see what is there and how what is
there works, but I can't imagine how to write an entry to do smethng
like I have in the grub menu ...

ubuntu Live 9.10" {
 loopback loop /ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
 linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper
iso-scan/filename=/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso splash --
 initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

Grub is pretty capable itself :-)  But its not PXELinux :-)

--
The ability to learn faster than your competitors may be the only
sustainable competitive advatage.