[syslinux] [gPXE] localboot 0 hang on some machines with gpxelinux.0

Alexandre Blanchette blanalex at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 07:24:09 PDT 2010

I'm bringing back an old thread, but I'm still having problem with this:
http://etherboot.org/pipermail/gpxe/2010-March/000571.html

The summary of that thread is that with gpxelinux.0, on some computers
the command LOCALBOOT 0 will hang the computer. Around the same time
as the original thread, there was a patch to add localboot -1. Also in
the original thread, it was proposed to use chain.c32 as a workaround.

There is an open bug report in etherboot's bugtracking system:
http://support.etherboot.org/index.php?do=details&task_id=26

I recently switched from pxelinux.0 to gpxelinux.0 to use http
transfers. On newer machines, mainly with AMI bioses (Lenovo M58e,
Asus P5Q, Asus P5G41-MLE) localboot 0 hangs the machine at PXE-M0F
Exiting PXE, and localboot -1 will crash most older machines. And to
top it off, the chain.c32 crashes on some HP machines (dc5100 SFF).

For now, my fix is to filter out localboot 0-incompatible machine in a
lua script by looking up DMI informations and exiting pxelinux with
the chain.c32 module, but that means that I have to update the script
for every new computer model I have on my network.

--
Alexandre Blanchette <blanalex at gmail.com>