[syslinux] [Bug]: Extlinux needs 1 minute before boot menu is shown

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 14:09:21 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 16:51, Martin Stolpe
<berti.boeller at googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 28 August 2010 00:01:47 Gene Cumm wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 06:13, Martin Stolpe
>>
>> <berti.boeller at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like I've stumbled over a BIOS bug. When I try to boot from hdd1 the
> system stalls for ~1 minute. After I switched the hdds and booted from hdd0
> everything worked fine. Sorry for the noise.

Since Syslinux is so sensitive to the BIOS, I don't think I would
consider it noise.

1) Can you provide all of the possible versioning (sometimes there's
separate components and sometimes there are linked components of the
BIOS; see below) for your particular situation?  This may be good so
as to provide a reference in case someone else encounters a similar
issue with a similar product.

2) Have you checked the manufacturer's site for an upgraded BIOS?  If
so, would you be willing to upgrade to the latest version and test
again?  It's possible that this bug has been noticed by the
manufacturer and already fixed.  If not, I'd suggest contacting
support with regards to this issue.

Componentization of BIOS:

By separate components, I mean that each component that builds to
generate the BIOS environment can be independently upgraded.  This is
common for servers, especially with add-in network and storage
controllers.

By linked components, I mean that the OEM has provided you a BIOS
package that actually loads multiple BIOS/firmware packages
simultaneously.  I've seen this commonly for desktop/laptop systems
for integrated network and storage controllers.

--
-Gene